The Liquid Retina screen
Apple is never one to shy away from some marketing hyperbole, and the iPhone XR comes with a ‘new’ type of LCD, a screen that’s been designed to allow it to make this curved, ‘all-screen’ display.
The effect is much like the LCD screens Apple has made before, to be honest, as they’ve always been colorful and sharp, but with the new ‘Liquid Retina’ display things are supposed to closer to the high-end OLED screen.
We’ll delve more into the quality of the screen later in this review, but it’s one of the key differences you’ll want to consider if you’re thinking about going for the less-costly iPhone.
How does the iPhone XR compare to the iPhone XS?
We’ve already written a comprehensive discussion of the differences between the iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max, but for the sake of convenience, we’ll outline the important points here as well. We’ll also focus on the regular iPhone XS here as it’s the more likely alternative if you’re looking for something in the XR’s price range.
- The iPhone XR starts at $749, while the iPhone XS starts at $999. Saving money is cool.
- At 6.1 inches, iPhone XR has a technically larger display than the 5.8-inch iPhone XS.
- We say “technically” because you’re also sacrificing resolution with the XR. The iPhone XR’s display only has a resolution of 1792×828 at 326 ppi, while the XS has a resolution of 2436×1125 at 458 ppi. That’s good enough to avoid seeing jagged edges, but the XS’s display is in a different class entirely.
- That’s mainly because the iPhone XS has an OLED display while the iPhone XR has a “Liquid Retina” LCD display. With OLED displays, you get true blacks and more accurate coloring in general.
- Both phones house Apple’s powerful new A12 Bionic chip, so you shouldn’t see much difference in app performance between the two.
- If there is a difference, it’s likely due to the RAM, as the iPhone XR only has 3GB while the iPhone XS has 4GB.
- At 6.84 ounces, the iPhone XR is ever so slightly heavier than the iPhone XS (which weighs 6.24 ounces). This is a tiny difference and one you’ll barely notice.
- The iPhone XR comes in six different colors, while the iPhone XS is only available in three.
- The iPhone XR’s battery should deliver around 15 hours of internet use, while the iPhone XS will deliver only around 12.
iPhone XR Price, Availability and Trade-in Deals
The iPhone XR went on sale Oct. 26. It starts at $749 for 64GB of storage, and it’s available through Apple and all of the major U.S. carriers, including AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon. You can also buy the iPhone XR through US Cellular and Xfinity, as well as through retailers such as Best Buy and Sam’s Club.
It costs an extra $50 to step up to 128GB of storage, or you can pay $899 for 256GB. Unlike the iPhone XS and XS Max, the iPhone XR doesn’t have a 512GB option.
iPhone XR price in India. The Apple iPhone XR price in India starts at Rs. 76,900 for the 64GB storage variant. In the US, the 64GB variant has been priced at $749 (roughly Rs. 53,900), the 128GB variant has been priced at $799 (roughly Rs. 57,500), and the 256GB variant has been priced at $899 (roughly Rs. 64,700).
Apple iPhone XR Specification
- – 6.1 Inch Liquid Retina HD LCD Display
- – Hex-Core Apple A12 Bionic
- – 3GB RAM With 64/128/256GB ROM
- – 12MP ISight Camera With OIS
- – 7MP Front Facing Camera
- – Face ID
- – Bluetooth 5.0
- – LTE Support
- – IP67 Water & Dust Resistant
- – Animoji
- – Wireless Charging
Apple iPhone Xr Specifications
|Technology / Frequency Bands||GSM : 850/900/1800/1900 MHz HSPA+ : 850/900/1900/2100 MHz|
|Type||Li – Po|
|Colors||Blue, White, Black, Yellow, Coral and Red|
|Size||1792 x 828 pixels|
|Type||color : SuperRetina|
|Camera / Imaging / Video|
|Internet Browsing||Yes , Safari|
|Ringtones||MP3 VBR, AAC,WAV|
|Operating System||iOS 12|
|NETWORK||Technology||GSM / CDMA / HSPA / EVDO / LTE|
|Status||Available. Released 2018, October|
|BODY||Dimensions||150.9 x 75.7 x 8.3 mm (5.94 x 2.98 x 0.33 in)|
|Weight||194 g (6.84 oz)|
|Build||Front/back glass, aluminum frame (7000 series)|
|SIM||Nano-SIM, Electronic SIM card (eSIM)|
|– IP67 dust/water resistant (up to 1m for 30 mins)|
– Apple Pay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified)
|DISPLAY||Type||IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors|
|Size||6.1 inches, 90.3 cm2 (~79.0% screen-to-body ratio)|
|Resolution||828 x 1792 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio (~326 ppi density)|
|Protection||Scratch-resistant glass, oleophobic coating|
– Wide color gamut
– 120 Hz touch-sensing
|PLATFORM||OS||iOS 12, upgradable to iOS 12.1.3|
|Chipset||Apple A12 Bionic (7 nm)|
|CPU||Hexa-core (2×2.5 GHz Vortex + 4×1.6 GHz Tempest)|
|GPU||Apple GPU (4-core graphics)|
|Internal||64/128/256 GB, 3 GB RAM|
|MAIN CAMERA||Single||12 MP, f/1.8, 26mm (wide), 1/2.55″, 1.4µm, OIS, PDAF|
|Features||Quad-LED dual-tone flash, HDR (photo/panorama)|
|Video||2160p@24/30/60fps, 1080p@30/60/120/240fps, HDR, stereo sound rec.|
|SELFIE CAMERA||Single||7 MP, f/2.2, 32mm (standard)|
|SOUND||Loudspeaker||Yes, with stereo speakers|
|– Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic|
|COMMS||WLAN||Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, hotspot|
|Bluetooth||5.0, A2DP, LE|
|GPS||Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS|
|USB||2.0, proprietary reversible connector|
|FEATURES||Sensors||Face ID, accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer|
|– Siri natural language commands and dictation|
|BATTERY||Non-removable Li-Ion 2942 mAh battery|
|Charging||Fast battery charging: 50% in 30 min|
Qi wireless charging
|Talk time||Up to 25 h (3G)|
|Music play||Up to 65 h|
|MISC||Colors||Black, Red, Yellow, Blue, Coral, White|
|Price||About 850 EUR|
|TESTS||Battery life||Endurance rating 78h|